Those children love each other so much that when we decided to move to Washington, and they to Virginia the children fell apart. Calling each other on the phone just wouldn't cut it, so we decided to go and visit. Then as an added bonus, Carson's brother Justin, his wife Rachel and their little girl Eliza moved there for school.
The reason's just keep mounting. Susan's (my mother-in-law) mission (New Jersey)is a mere 6 hours from Kara's house, so was there any question if we would go? I look like a devoted mother keeping her child in contact with her cousins, but really I selfishly wanted to go visit Kara, Rachel and Susan, so it's a win-win situation!
So the first brilliant move of the trip I made was to fly into Washington D.C. on September 11th. Yep, if we didn't have a friend in the intelligence field telling us there were no legitimate threats I may have reconsidered that flight! When we arrived the humidity really did, as everyone says, "hit us like a brick." We had so much fun catching up and seeing how much the kids had grown.
Kara had a baby (Bryant) when we last saw them and he is now walking around!
We were able to go to Washington D.C. several days with them and see some wonderful historical sights. The Washington monument
the Lincoln memorial,
and the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History (The Hope diamond, the Tiffany diamond
and a wonderful dinosaur exhibit). Wow, we sure packed a lot into a little time.
We were also able to take a Saturday and go to Virginia beach and yes swim in the Atlantic Ocean. "From sea to shining sea."
Someone likes Oreos!
They have toys for children that you would see at a park,
but it was right on the beach, so the ground wasn't wood chips, it was sand.
We also were able to go to a park on the River and there was a long dock. If you walked far enough you crossed over into Maryland. So we of course had to do it!
One day Rachel hosted us in Richmond and we all went to this Enormous park/zoo. Nadine and her two children (Audrey and Eric)came too. There were acres of animal exhibits and a barn area to feed them too. We spent a lot of time feeding sheep. The kids were adorable! We had a picnic under a tree and the kids marched around pretending to "FBI cheerleaders." Don't ask! We didn't understand either. Thank you Rach. What a great park. I can't wait to do it again! Nadine it was great to see you again. =)
We then took a couple of days to visit some friends of ours who we've kept in touch with from our Newlywed ward in Provo. They are in dental school in Philadelphia. Trevor and Tamar Griffitts. They have 2 girls, Emma and Abigail. They took us all over Philadelphia. We went to see the Liberty Bell and took a tour of Independence Hall
where the Declaration of Independence was written. It was so neat to see history right in front of your face. The Liberty Bell was actually given that name by the Black people who were rallying for their freedom. The bell was also the symbol for the Women's rights movement.
We were also able to go to Ben Franklin's grave
and learn about his extraordinary life. The whole city honors him.
Tamar took us to a place that reminds me a lot of Pike Place Market in Seattle. A huge marketplace, but this one had just food. The food was amazing and they had EVERY type of food you could think of.
One section of the market was food made by the Pennsylvania Amish community. Wow, can they cook! They had a traditional American food part, a barbecue area, a bakery, an ice cream shop etc.
These were in a huge chocolate section. It cracked me up!
Now this next part is, in Carson's opinion, the most important part of our whole trip. When I called to tell him that I had been all around Philadelphia the first thing that came out of his mouth was "Did you go see the Rocky statue?!" And we had in fact just left!
Now what trip to Philadelphia would be complete without eating a Philly cheese steak? They are SO good ! Trevor got them because in some cheese steak places if you order wrong or take too long on your order they make you go to the back of the line until you get it right! I am not kidding. I had heard something about that before, but I also thought it was a story perhaps embellished. But no, it's true!!
Thank you Tamar for letting us come and showing us a great time!
We then drove up to New Jersey to visit my wonderful mother-in-law. It really was a great experience driving there. I depended 100% on the GPS unit that came with the rental car. But I still got lost a few times!! It was the first time I had driven on a toll road. It was kinda fun, but I shortly saw how the novelty could wear off as I watched my wallet shrink! When I got there I met her companion Sister Shupe. She is so nice. Madison has referred to her as aunt Shupe for her whole mission. All four of us went on a boat ride to Ellis Island. WOW!
Here is the large room in which they had line after line of people waiting to be examined and allowed into the country. First and second class got to do their exams on the ships and were dropped off in Manhatten. Those in the "steerage" (in the bottom) had to go to Ellis Island for their inspections which could last hours up to months. The average # of languages spoken by the interpreters was 6, but the record was 15! Wow. This is a place I believe everyone should go atleast once in their lives. It was amazing how many people came to our country and for what reasons and all of the requirements to land and live here. Here are a few. You had to know someone, have a place to stay, you had to have a job, a trade skill or some way to make money, $25, and you also had to pass a thorough medical and a mental exam. They did not want to let any diseases into the country. Some people would come all the way here and have a medical condition and be sent back with shattered dreams. Families would come together and have parents or children not pass, and then what? Often families would save for the father or eldest brother to come to make enough money to send for the rest of the family. It was hard and risky to come. Many died before they arrived. They had to journey anywhere from 10 days to over a month in a boat where if you didn't have lots of money you would stay in the steerage with no windows, crammed with all of the people, with nauseating smells after weeks of no bathing, vomit from seasickness and using the bathroom right there etc. It paints a lovely picture. So you can imagine their horror at the prospect of being rejected and traveling back. They had a dream of a new and better life and would come at all costs and at any sacrifice.
It was very inspiring and made me grateful for my ancestors and for the time and place in which I was born. I actually found one of my ancestors who was Irish but came from England. There was even a picture of the ship he came on. It was so neat.
My mother-in-law volunteered there at the center to find ancestors one day a week. What a neat thing for her to be able to do as a missionary. This thing behind us is so neat. One way you look it's all races of people to represent the many nationalities that came here and the other way you look is the American flag. So neat. There were tours of the place and a theater where we went to see a reinactment of what a typical immigrant went through to get here. I hope to bring Carson back someday. Speaking of Carson, we saw "The Kissing Post".
If any of you have seen "Hitch" you'll know what I mean. It's a place where families and loved ones would meet up after having been separated for a time. So Carss-this ones for you!
Then the boat took us to the Statue of Liberty!
Madison liked calling her "Lady Liberty".
We never got to go to New York, but on the boat ride we did get an amazing view of the New York skyline!
Although it was a little foggy (and eventually rained!) we were able to get some good pictures.
Well after all that we were hungry so we went and ate "Jersey pie". Now those not familiar with this term, don't fret. It's "New Jersey-an" for PIZZA. Now their "pies" are HUGE and the locals or the Easterners eat it folded in half. You hold the crust like you normally would, but you fold the crust in half to make a smaller triangle. Again, each slice is HUGE and so good.
The next day we went to church at their little branch.
It was so neat to see such strong members without all of the activities, variety and convenience you receive in a ward. Madison made child #5 in primary that day. Because I am the primary chorister in our ward and their chorister was brand new she asked if I would lead the children in learning the primary program songs so she could see how to do it. That was fun. The children really sang loud and tried hard. They are so loving and accepting. There is a light in their eyes that only the gospel of Jesus Christ can bring. I am so grateful for the people and for them caring for these sweet sister missionaries so far from home. The members love the missionaries especially Susan. They had a lunch afterward, so I was able to get to know some of them even better. The church is true wherever you go. Thank you Susan for showing us so much and for letting me go back to "the mission field" and remember what it's like!
We drove back to Kara's in Virginia for a few more fun filled days. I was able to quickly go over to The White House. I really couldn't believe I was there. After all of the movies you see it doesn't seem real, but it is exactly how you picture it!
Well I just wanted to thank everyone who went to great lengths to make our trip possible and so memorable. Thank you for your hospitality. Especially Kara and Todd. Todd had to forfit one on one family time while we intruded. I sure appreciate it.
Carson constantly had to answer people at work "Wait, Kandi went to visit your family?" To which he replied, "Yeah I know, they all really like eachother!" It sounds like their "in-laws" aren't as great as mine!
Madison and Miranda are already scheming via phone calls to call the airport to let them fly to eachothers houses! They're so cute. Thanks again everyone! We love you.
P.S. Carss-thanks for letting us go, you were a trooper!
2 comments:
Great update!!! It was so fun to have you hear, and know that you are welcome any time. It would be fun to go to New York together, and I know that Emma would love to see Maddi. We miss you guys.
Hey, fun to see you on Sunday!
Post a Comment